Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

End of the summer in site!

It's been awhile since I've blogged!
This heat wave we've been having has taken a lot out of me! So has an annoying neck injury πŸ˜’ which between that and the heat wave I'm very behind on everything it seems!!
Well,,, and traveling over the southeast to find prospects for the dairy donkey herd!
Finding a donkey I can work with and fits what I'm looking for is no small thing! 
We've looked a lot, walked away several times but, it's not been all pointless...
Since having to sell Henna I've added a gorgeous young spotted girl we went to NC to get.
And another gorgeous girl we went to middle TN for! 
Yep! 2 more future milking donkeys!
I hope to build my herd to 6 to 8 dairy donkeys. Concentrating on more production in the fall and winter... Part of our ' take the farm to the next level' plan. 
That's another post ...
Back to donkeys!!! 
The girl from middle TN is older and was full of milk from nursing her 8 month old foal! So she gets a star for length of lactation obviously! 
Unfortunately the sellers didn't want to part with the foal so Nitzie ( short for Nitzevet) will dry up quickly! So I'll have to wait until next year to really milk her. What little she did let me milk I'm looking forward to it! She has a very nice easy udder to milk!!! 
She's also big enough for me to train her to ride. And She's a doll! 
Look at that fringe on her ears!! Adorable! 
She needs halter work and major work on her hooves ... But she was still an amazing find!!!! Donkeys like this certainly don't come along everydayπŸ€— if they did my 8 spots for Jennies would be filled! 
Just look at her! 
Kikhl is the new addition from NC. 
Also a blessing to find such a girl like this!! She's young. So I won't be breeding her until next spring . 
Also a sweet heart! She had some nipping habits , like most younger donkeys, but she's already learned not to do that... To me anyways! 
Once she's mature she will also be large enough to ride but it'll be awhile. She's got some halter and leading work ahead of her but she is catching on very fast!! 
Adore her.. She'd get in my lap if she could she's such a cuddly baby and absolutely loves hugs !
There's so much going on at the end of the summer. My April and May hatched Chinese geese are finally big enough to move to a larger grow out pen. 
I love geese! ❤️❤️❤️
Second only to donkeys ...
And on the over side of the farm another one of my husbands rare meishans had piglets!!!! Look at all those cuties.
I could never ever go back to other pigs.
I'm still in amazement at how quiet and nice they are! So docile ...

Out in the garden the produce is still rolling in... Mostly okra and peppers now. Still getting a few melons , tomatoes , squash and cucumbers. 
I harvested our first dent corn already, Lima beans, purple hull peas.
Pumpkins and winter squash almost ready to harvest!

I've been getting tons of canning done!
Carmelized onion and red wine pizza sauce, cucumber and green pepper relish , basil tomato sauce , green beans in duck broth, green tomato chutney, salsa verde to name a few things that are filling up the pantry this year!
And this... 
Salted Melon Jelly!
Best jelly I've ever made! Excellent way to capture summer in a jar πŸ™‚
So as you can see the blessings and bounties are many!
I'm ever thankful to God for all this and my savior for giving me peace in my mind to be able live such a quiet but challenging life. 
I'm very thankful. 

It's a hot but beautiful summer... But it's end is near. I'm looking forward to a beautiful cool fall! 
Cool weather to work with the donkeys,, fall gardens without weeds! Hopefully some fall goose eggs!!!! Oh I miss goose eggs so bad!!!!! 



1 comment:

  1. Love your new-to-you donkeys. Your canning skills are impressive.

    ReplyDelete