Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Farm Foodie

I know... I don't really like the name 'foodie' either. It sounds a bit uppity , maybe a tad pretentious , which my little country self Is neither!! 
But It's way better than calling myself ridiculously picky....
Add that on to my annoying food allergies... I'm just kinda hard to feed!
In Knoxville , Chattanooga and Especially Atlanta where I worked and played for years finding foodie type restaurants with very specialized appetizers and creative entrees wasn't that hard. As I got older and my food allergies got worse.. That was something different. 

 It's really not hard to make home grown food taste good at all.. But when you eat seasonally it can get repetitive at times and bore the taste buds a little. So here's A little summer foodie meal idea...

Every summer we get these wild current tomatoes that pop up everywhere. I have no ideal how they spread like they do! They are resistant to most of the things that wipe out my other tomatoes early. They have an incredible tomato flavor with a pop of well balanced sweetness!
But we can only eat so many tomato salads...so Last year I made a specialty ketchup wild tomato jam that just complemented our sweet potato fries so well.

I still have a few jars left so this year I wanted something different.
I had just made a big egg salad with my favorite white cucumbers , fresh dill and 12 big rich Muscovy eggs I found in a very hidden nest ( sneaky Muscovy!)
Rather than just eat with a sliced tomato on the egg salad sandwich for dinner .. Which my taste buds were telling me 'boring!!!' ...
I made another kind of savory jam that would complement the egg salad sandwich. 
 
So with a new very fragrant basil in the garden I made a small batch of 
Tomato Lime Basil Jam!!
It's Perfect... Any cherry tomato would probably work well in this recipe.
The recipe, I used the blue book preserving tomato jam recipe, added lime basil and lime juice. Easy!
I'm not in the mood to make bread..not in the summer.  It's just to time cumsumming ! And then I'll be stuck with a big ol' loaf of bread to try and eat the next few days.. 
Solution ... Pumpkin Biscuits! Now being southern I could eat biscuits all day long.
Adding pumpkin to them makes them healthier so I feel better about it when I eat them all day long! 😉
There are still some Seminole pumpkins in the pantry farm last year. Roasted up, puréed with wheat flour, lard , little salt and baking powder ... Bake!
Topped with our own homegrown bacon custom cured by Bentons bacon in madisonville....
No bored taste buds! 
Muscovy duck egg and cucumber salad, on pumpkin biscuits with cured bacon and tomato lime basil jam ....
No , no bored taste buds here! At all!

I couldn't get anything this good in any restaurant we've been to in the last 6 years. So much flavor! And nothing to cause an allergy for me.

Farming pays off at the table 😀

Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment