Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Don't look a gift donkey in the mouth

I'm happy to introduce Henna! 
A gorgeous bay colored jennet!
She is truly a gift... An unexpected , fell in my lap kinda gift that I almost refused!
She comes to me from a guy who bought geese from me a couple of months ago.. He liked my donkeys so he was inspired to get one to guard his cattle but it didn't work out..
So he texted me a couple of days ago and asked me if I would take her. He only had her for about a month or so.. Couldn't tell me much of anything about her...
I was hesitant ,,, it was so totally unexpected and I felt positive this donkey was probably a hot mess!
A crazy wild donkey is the last thing I want to deal with..I've got a crazy wild Jack already that needs loads of work and I'm training Rani's Jack colt.
But .... He said she was a big ol' pet ...and she looked so lonely and pretty in the picture he sent.
so off we went , we drive an hour and half north to check her out.
I'm so glad we did.... So I will not look a gift donkey in the mouth again!!
She's a sweetheart! And came right at a time I've been considering getting a couple of bigger donkeys. 
She's a lot bigger than the donkeys I've been working with.. 
If fact Henna is bigger than the donkey I sold last year because I thought she was too big!
I feel much more confident around donkeys now so I'm ready! With the  extra 4 acres my husband is fencing I have the room for some bigger donkeys.
My idea herd... 4 small standard Jennets and 2 large standard Jennets. 
Ofcourse a couple of jacks... Gotta have the boys since stud service is impossible to find here unless it's a mammoth donkey ... So not wanting a mammoth... 
At this time!!!😉
Henna still has a scruffy winter coat. She's 2 years old so she's never foaled. I am hopeful she will be a good addition to our dairy donkey herd.
Oh... And she's plenty big enough for me ride!!!
A little added value there. 
She will need some work and I'm so excited to work with her.
Hoping my husband can get me a corral built this month sometime ( please husband please!!!)
I've been working with my wild crazy Jack using some new techniques I've learned and I'm happy to say that for the first time since I've had him for these 9 months he let me pet him today!!! Really pet him!! Pat his back and all!
A corral would make things so much easier though! 
But back to the Jennets... And Henna..
Isn't she gorgeous!! 
On the sad side of this post .. I sold my mini Jenny donkeys😟
Mini donkeys have never really been what I wanted to focus on.. But I love them!!!
Small standards have been my personal idea homestead dairy donkey for us.
Mini donkeys are so great.. Just so nice and non intimidating! 
 
I can't keep them all though...We decided if I'm going to get some bigger girls the minis must go on to other homes. I'm very happy to say all 3 minis went to fantastic homes!!! 
A lot of good came from the minis!
Im very thankful I had them because A major thing happened with them.. And with my smallest standard Rani...
With them being small I wasn't intimidated and I gained lots of confidence working with them. I wouldn't be here getting into the bigger donkeys if I didn't start with them!!

The ever changing farm... 
Gotta be flexible. Gotta go with the flow..

The work load is heavy, especially this time of year! So it's nice to have livestock I gain so much joy from.
They really do make the farm a happier place for me.
So praise to God for leading me this way .. 
That's a huge blessing!

And I'm still thinking of how close I was to telling that guy thanks, but no thank you on Henna because I was afraid..
I seriously almost looked a gift donkey in the mouth! 

Till next time! Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment