Pages

Friday, April 29, 2016

When fall and winter are over.. But you still have a load of pumpkins to eat...

Everyone is soooo excited when cooler weather hits and food trends pumpkin everything! Pumpkin drinks, pumpkin soups, pumpkin fries, pumpkin desserts .. On and on...
But here I am about to step into May, weather in the 80's.. With 23 of these guys left and 4 huge cushaw and even a butternut...
Well cushaw & butternut are winter squash and these pictures here are Seminole pumpkins ( one of my top producers for 2015)
But you know ..,  All pumpkins are really squash but not all squash are pumpkins! 
I've fed loads of squash to the pigs and chickens but these Seminoles are just to good to feed them all to the animals..
So...,hot weather foods made with pumpkin!
not wanting pumpkin pies and pumpkin soup.. Which are just way to cool weather eats for me...
I make Pumpkin biscuits!!!!
Yes!!!! I usually make my biscuits with sweet potatoes but these came out great! It's never to hot for biscuits ( maybe it's a southern thang but these were so good! ) 
Pumpkin gnocchi with fresh mustard green pesto ...
Lite and perfect for a warm day.. Adding pumpkin to bread and pasta lowers the carbs and adds lots of vitamins. 
This was such a good lite gnocchi I made extra to freeze  for later in the summer when I have basil pesto. 
And the healthiest cheesecake ever...
Made with fresh eggs, goat cheese, honey and Ofcourse pumpkin!! The crust is fresh ground corn meal, honey , lard and walnuts. That's it...
Not heavy or laced with spices like a holiday pumpkin pie.. This cooks up very lite.  
I've made this cheesecake for years with a variety of different winter squash. 
Using goat cheese is a way healthier alternative to cream cheese but you have to be careful .. If you have a goat cheese with the sort of 'goaty' taste it won't be very good. 
I use goat cheese from Vermont creamery. No strong taste it's perfect for when you want a healthier alternative to cream cheese in desserts. Drizzled with a little honey and walnuts .. Perfect treat for a hard day on the garden!
Pumpkin biscuits with spring radish dip...and asparagus .. Not a cool weather dinner at all! 

Similar recipes for all this can be found on the Internet. The base of the winter squash cheesecake recipe came from the book 'stocking up' 
If you don't have it and like to cook and stock up .. You need that book! I did tweak it abit here though. 

Other news...Now I need to figure out what to do with the pound of arugula I just harvested..
It's going to be a good day when these get ripe!!!!!
And my silkie hen True Blue hatched out 5 little babies!! 
Silkies... Still the best , most productive ,easiest , no drama chicken ever!

Y'all have a very blessed day 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment