Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A reason to have donkeys..

I think donkeys,, like Geese, are a much underutilized animal on the small farm.
With all livestock we manage here I need multiple reasons to keep an animal.
There's a lot a donkey can add to a farm!
Donkeys can be good guardians for at risk livestock , they can pull cart or carry a pack,, you can ride them, use their manure for the garden that they pile up in an easy to pick up manner!
 they are good eaters of weeds that not even my goats will eat . Providing the valuable job of keeping the pastures from being taken over by noxious weeds.
And .. Important... I LOVE them! 

But maybe , most importantly , you can milk them .... For what some people believe is the healthiest milk available for human consumption ....
So... Introducing Amaris... Which in Hebrew means ' given by God'
Not like the goats or sheep I've milked...milking a donkey sounds a bit more complicated ,,, But that's ok because the health benefits of the milk are outstanding. And you won't get a ton of milk , but you don't need to drink a ton for the benefits !
And this is the number one reason I'm bringing them to this farm!
Good health is priceless...and as active as the farm requires us to be so we can feed ourselves it becomes something I think about often.. Staying healthy and doing everything I can to be able to farm as long as I can! And provide my family with the healthiest homegrown foods around!
Now, I'm not the healthiest girl .. I wrecked my digestive system years with junky inflammation causing foods before the farm.. I can't tolerate cow or sheep milk well... Goat milk even has to be in moderation. 
To be honest I would like nothing more than to be able to replace the dairy goats with dairy donkeys! I find donkeys very calming to be around... Cute as they are , goats drive me crazy!!! But Since donkey milk isn't good for cheese making I'll have to keep a couple of trouble making goats around , which will be good for future guardian baby donkeys to be around.
Back to the donkey milk!
Just google it! Donkey milk sounds quite amazing... And Not as uncommon in some country's as the States.
There are actual working Donkey Dairys in other countries!


I've got my first jenny .. Searching for a second jenny and a gentle jack now...
Jenny's are pregnant for about a year so it's a long wait... But I think I will enjoy the wait :-)

I look forward to this project and being able to work with these gentle , smart and very useful animals.

Given by God.. Like everything else I have..and I am ever so thankful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment