Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

The Days all run together...

On the farm my days all run together... I never know what 'day' it is! Especially during the 'perfect storm' homesteading months... when garden upkeep meets harvest meets prepare garden for fall/winter gardens...
an Average day on the farm....

Have strong coffee... put my 2 little darling goats (yes yes goats again! doing a post on that later!) in an over grown pasture or woodlot to avoid parasite issues...
let out around 100 free range birds... watch as they chase, fight and start to forage ... check to make sure everything is as it should be... dogs in place... nothing dead or sick! as livestock illness can sneak up on ya! especially with goats... this is everyday..
then... what foods have to be delt with.... today tomatoes have to be dehydrated... 

winter squash have to be cured and stored.... theres SO many this year!!!!! over 21 cushaw in ... siminoles and TN vining are starting to finish too!
Had to pick the garden... at this point I'm becoming very very burnt out on the garden and preserving!!! So I have to 'pep talk' myself!!
pink eyed peas may have bombed this year (for the first time ever!) but whipperwill peas are making up for it!
Also had a huge bag of late provider green beans ready... a bunch of white velvet okra,,, asian melon, butternut squash and a few more tomatoes (tomatoes are almost done in by blight now and I'm wishing I had taken the time to plant a few late tomatoes to get me into fall) 
Meanwhile ,, in and out of the house to check the fat back I had started rendering in the crock pot... we use leaf lard for cooking... fat back for soap making. Our AGH lard is such a huge blessing and part of our food independance... and cosmetic independance too! All our soaps, shampoo and laundry detergent are made for our lard!
And meanwhile every trip in as I suffer from garden burn out I give a look to the beautiful cloud of angora fiber I'm itching to spin!!!! I did NOT like raising meat rabbits... nor did my husband... but I loved raising angora rabbits for the short time I had them..time management was the issue with them as they are fairly high upkeep!!..but much like the goats I had approached it all wrong. Will revisit Angoras later.. and post on it :-)
Balance on the farm... work/joy..... so hard to obtain but we're getting better Praise God!!!
Shelled some fresh whipperwill peas for dinner while downing an afternoon goat milk latte' ! Cant wait for dinner....
Out to do half my watering feeding chores.... and throw the geese some not prime tomatoes,, they love tomatoes!
Then back in to make some Cushaw cornbread to go with dinner... and finish straining my lard.. lovely bunch of cracklin's ....
Back down to the barn to milk Sugar and feed Gumdrop.. cut some tree branches for them and put them in their holding shelter for the night.. 
Back up to the house to strain the milk and wait for it to get cool enough to put up the poultry and waterfowl...
Then back up to finally eat dinner... which thankfully my husband cooked! Fresh catfish, whipperwill peas, cushaw cornbread and rainbow tomato...
perfect way to end another crazy busy day on Gods Blessing Farm.

Now for today...whew,.... just thinking about it I'm overwhelmed! which is why I took time to blog and sort of gather my head! and pep talk myself into getting ready to sweat while dust and dirt stick to me, get bug bites,  wade through itchy weeds and the thick humid air..... must focus on that high yield fall garden goal and filling the root celler for winter!
 I love it.... or certainly couldn't do it.... after all, I'd rather be busy than bored! somedays, especially in late summer I'd like to be less dirty and sweaty everyday!.. I'd certainly like less bug bites! Summer gardens are rough!!!!
My husband and I sometimes talk about what the heck we would do if we didn't do this... there are other options for us... we sure don't have to farm....but we did realize a major problem...after truly clean eating very healthy for these years...our taste buds don't like store bought foods...
and store bought or restaurant foods tend to make me extremly sick... or just leave me tired. 
yeah,, farming has trapped me! lol! I'd have to track down a farmer who's into growing vegetables , eggs, raw goat milk and meats like we do.... which we don't take the easiest road when it comes to raising our foods... quality over quanity here. And who the heck would I find to raise a true lard hog for me! Its hard enough to find someone to buy a feeder piglet from of our limited acceptable breeds. Which is primarily why we breed them ourselves. 
yeah... trapped now... for my health and the happiness of my taste buds....

Many blessings to you all... time to get to it!









No comments:

Post a Comment