Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

Reclaim!

So this looks like a hot mess... the first year we moved here I used this as a corn field and the yield was great,,,, but now the trees are up to high and only the very center gets full sun... plus erosion is a problem if it's to be turned every year for row crops... then we tried keeping goats here in rotation but it's not real good for them either since there's no browse.
So this is a huge project for me this year....a pretty much useless piece of fenced land... the beginning of a forest hillside garden that will be used as part of my poultry rotation once established . Gooseberries,elderberries and currents... perinneal vegetables , shade loving herbs .... it's not a quick project but one I can't wait to start planting!
first step is to cover it with clover seeds and make some kind of water shed swell or other barrier .. I'm going to use piles of pines that fell during the ice storm as a base for that... and look, one huge bunch broke off to help me get started! Ha!

I have some AGH piglets in the area for the time being... I know alot of people say they use pigs to 'plow' for them... I've never had good luck with the 'permaculture theory'
For the most part pigs root in one place to often for it to be truly good for the land... they also poop in an area , not all over so fertilizer gets scattered...
I help them along by baiting them in places they haven't rooted... but my husband is still going to have to hit it with the tractor before my first phase of planting.

Another area used for nothing... this hill that falls off the back of yet another raised bed polyculture space we are developing.. this is perfect for things like ramps, mushrooms and shade loving herbs and fruits since it varies from part shade to full... so many different things can grow here that can't grow in a regular sunny garden... since there are established trees in this area it's not considered a forest garden but more farming the woods.
Now.... I need the weather to cooperate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment