Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Farm Fresh Muscovy and Pak Choi Winter Salad

Oh my goodness this was good !
So good I had to share ... Muscovy duck has got to be one of my favorite things to eat... I'm not afraid of fat meats (I love them too! ) but sometimes I love the taste of a lean meat .. If it's a dark rich lean meat.. All the better! 
The other wonderful thing about Muscovy is how versitale it is.. Curry, thyme , BBQ .. Whatever you want to flavor it with , it can take it! 
I have been craving chicken salad.. with duck ... But I refuse to buy commercial mayo... I don't buy olive oil because it's just to expensive for the real stuff and I feel gulilty buying any oils when I have such wonderful homegrown oils that I can use  ...
I'm constantly looking for ways to make my favorite foods but use more of what I grow . So... How to make a chicken like salad... That can standup to muscovies rich flavor and Use what I have on hand and in the garden... Right now that would be baby pak choi or mustard greens.
This was even better than I thought it would be... I mean if it had been 'just ok' you wouldn't be reading this post ;-) 

Ingredients :
9 oz of Muscovy cooked and cubed meat
5 oz of baby pak choi or another mild green. Chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
1/2 cup onion greens chopped 
1/4 cup black walnuts chopped
Toss all together 

Dressing:
2 TBSP lard
2 tbsp brown or spicy mustard
1 tbsp local honey
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp zucchini or some other relish 
Salt and red pepper flakes to taste
Whisk/ whip all together and pour over salad.. Mix well

Enjoy!!!!



Growing our own food is very challenging .. Figuring out how to eat seasonally with the garden is equally as challenging sometimes...
But what rewards are reaped when we figure it out!

To be able to grow food and eat like this is truly a blessing...
So thankful everyday I sit down to one this type of healthy food .

Now Muscovy drakes are huge birds ... And I still have legs and thigh meat left over.... And the big carcass to boil for the best broth! Duck broth rocks.. I always mean to can it .. But usually eat it up!
Thinking tonight we will have a wild rice and duck soup with fresh carrots and sweet potatoes from the root cellar  !!
That sounds good and easy !
We usually get 3 to 4 meals from just 1 of these birds!!
Fantastic homestead meat and egg source from the Muscovy duck!
The eggs from a Muscovy... Best eggs I've ever ate!!  I'm anxiously waiting for the girls to begin laying again... 

No comments:

Post a Comment