Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Chicken & Guinea keet Explosion

                                 So many chickens, if I told you how many you'd call me the crazy chicken lady instead of the crazy goat lady!!! and I can't forget 24 Guinea keets this year! My chicken breeding program is well under way this year! I have my Buckeyes... I looked and looked for these chickens... most were sold out or you could only order 3! I finally found a hatchery that let me order 10! Then I lucked up and found a local breeder right in Athens, TN . So I have my 2 blood lines for breeding them next year! Buckeyes are a rare heritage breed duel purpose chicken that I had been reading on for sometime..... I like to have a large duel purpose breed... a small breed and a breed or two for fun...



Buckeye chicks
Now below... these are Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. Rare breed... and they are my 'fun' breed! I was able to buy 6 of them. They are rare here but more common in Europe... decent layers of small white eggs. Beautiful unusual looking chickens!
Appenzeller Spitzhauben chicks

Mille Fleur d'Uccle (This is Polka Spot, she's a good momma!)
And my small breed...Belgian d'Uccle Bantams... seriously broody! will hatch out anything! Mine have hatched out over twenty chicks so far.. with more sitting and another girl gone broody just a few days ago. I love this breed. They are nice layers for bantams! Lay all summer , even when it gets super hot.. they do take a break in the winter.. which is fine since I have plenty of big winter hearty chickens that lay in the winter. My favorite breeds of chickens... I couldn't imagine my farm without them. They come in lots of color patterns too... I have 2 bloodlines and would like a third... also have Blue, Black and the traditional Mille Fleur color... just added some Lavenders too!  Sweet birds!

Black d'Uccle (Mini Me is her name, sitting her nest!)

Along with all the new babies and gardens being planted I still try to find time to make up things for my online store....Love the markets bags... they carry so much... good beach/lake bags... grocery, flea market.. so many uses for something most people throw away!
Market Bags for sale in my Crazy Goat Lady store
Thats all for now... gotta go check on those chicks!
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment